Thursday, August 8, 2013

Country Tavern BBQ - Kilgore, Texas


Country Tavern BBQ - Kilgore, Texas

Restaurant Review

I have been on a quest for good BBQ brisket and I just had a new entry in the top three.  The best BBQ brisket I have ever had – so far, has been at Speedy Pig BBQ and Restaurant in Russellville, Alabama.   Speedy Pig’s motto for their mobile smoker is “You croak ‘em, we smoke ‘em.”  Second is Honey Bears BBQ in Phoenix, Arizona (on Van Buren) where their motto is “You don’t need no teeth to eat our meat.”  Coming in at number three is a BBQ that I recently visited – Country Tavern in Kilgore, Texas (could not find a website).  I am a non-Texan but heard this place was “famous” and it was good to give it a try.

Country Tavern does not have a printed menu.  Your server will recite “brisket, ribs, turkey, and sausage” as main entrĂ©es.  I am a big brisket fan but after seeing the ribs and turkey I wish I had more room to try them.  Sides include the usual “tater salad, potato smash, cole slaw,” etc.  The restraint is a large hall with a bar at the end making it somewhat noisy.  It was almost full with large groups and families at some tables.  Arrived at Country Tavern at 7 PM, hungry and thirsty, after a long day logging in the woods in 105-degree temperatures.

Food
Brisket was moist and smoked to perfection.  The serving was large – large enough that I was not able to finish.  If I were not living out of a suitcase, I would have taken some home.  We had four people in our party - everyone ordered brisket but one, who ordered ribs.  The ribs looked awesome.  Coleslaw was very good but the “tater salad” was somewhat bland.  I doubt there was any salt on it and probably not much else for spice.  Only one BBQ sauce was available which was vinegar based, very good, and tangy.

Service
Staff was very friendly (of course – we are in Texas).  I seemed like staff were very busy at tables spending extra time with the larger groups.

The Good
  • Moist, flavorful brisket
  • Ribs! (second hand report)
  • Coleslaw
  • Pleasant staff


The So-So
  • Menu?
  • Slightly more expensive than most BBQ
  • Crowded


The Not-Good
  • Noisy – sometimes difficult to carry on a conversation
  • “Tater salad”

No comments:

Post a Comment